Tuesday, March 19, 2013

10 Awesome things about having a brain tumor

I know what you're thinking...what in the heck could be awesome about having a brain tumor...well here's what I think:

1. I know that my better half T Jay is my life long partner.  Now it really didn't take a brain tumor to bring that out but when you go through 7 month of hell and you have only been together 8, chances are good he's sticking around.  I couldn't love someone more, I am blessed.

2.  Speaking of blessed...you become just that, blessed.  I have the most amazing friends in the world.  I have created an unbreakable chain and bond with people who have become my family...brain tumors bring out the best in people.

3. I got to meet a Neurosurgeon...it's like meeting an astronaut..well kind of, but not really.  Actually Neurosurgeons are at the top of the hospital food chain so to speak and I have the best one.  (I actually work at the hospital that I had my surgery at so I've met a Neurosurgeon or two in my time, but I've never had one inside my head before...so it counts)

4.  I have the best excuse for all the stupid things I do.  "Oh I put the wrong pin number in...that's because I have a brain tumor" (I use that one a lot actually)...I mispronounce a word or used it completely wrong in a sentence...it's because I have a brain tumor.  I ran into a wall, yup it's because I have a brain tumor...see how this works for me.  I no longer have to use the "Well it's because I'm blond" anymore...mov'n on to bigger and better excuses!!!!!

5.  I have a team of Doctors with all kinds of different specialties working to make me better.  How cool is that?

6.  I live in Canada, where my taxes and my fellow Canadian taxes paid for my surgery and subsequent Doctors appointments.  We have each other's backs in this Country and that really IS awesome.

7.  I can't feel the right side my head of face (more from the brain surgery then the brain tumor itself but it still counts, cause it's my blog and I say so......anyway I've bumped my head twice now, actually bumped in the wrong word...smacked really, and I didn't feel it, that's awesome in a weird way.

8.   I have a lovely collection of wine in my wine rack, can't drink it due to the meds, so it looks pretty in my kitchen.

9.  We get to participate in our first Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada Spring Sprint  as a family.  Love raising money for good causes, and this is one of them...27 Canadians are diagnosed EVERY DAY with a brain tumor, that's more then one an hour...think about it...crazy eh?  So of course it would only be fitting to let you link to my fundraising page here ..Recovery Roadsters, how awesome are we!!!

10.  The most awesome of all...my children have learned that even Moms break sometimes.  That it's ok to see someone you love unwell, and as hard as that has been it's life.  The lesson is to fight and fight hard, stay strong and positive, and always be yourself.  If it's a bad day, it's ok to say that, cause the good days need to be cherished.


1 comment:

  1. Ok Kelly Marshall......how did you get into my head...all 10 things on that list have been either said or thought by me. I too have a menigioma and I can certainly understand all you speak of. !!!!

    ReplyDelete