Thursday, July 11, 2013

I've Come a Long Way Baby!!

I started a blog post late last night called "Never Say Never"  It was about all the things I never thought would be part of my life, prisms, balance, owning a car and no driving etc!!!  I was feeling a bit ho hum about today being my 6 month post op day and here I am still recovering.  Then I got a txt from my friend Jen this morning that said "Celebrate all your accomplishments!!!  You've come a long way in 6 months."  My first reaction was yup that sure is crazy...the 6 month part.  Then I starting thinking I'm focusing way to much on the the post op number and not on what I have accomplished.  I said a while back that on the 1 year mark (Jan 11th) I was going to celebrate it as a birthday, that must have been on one of my "up"days.  Today I certainly wasn't feeling any "celebration" for my half year mark.  Well, thanks to Jen I've been thinking about all that I have been through in the last 6 months and there certainly is a heap of bad but some truly amazing accomplishments that have come along the way.  For example:

I can always find my mouth now when inserting a fork or spoon.  Since I can't feel the right side of my face, there was always the potential for "fork/face injury"

Drinks only sometimes drool out the right side of my mouth.  Yup it's like being at the dentist everyday for me but I've figured out that all liquids need to go instantly to the left of my mouth, helps to avoid the dribble.

I only tip over in public sometimes, I figured out that a cart is a great stabilizer.

My eyes have been improving, still rooting for them to make a full recovery.

I can climb up and down my stairs without them seeming like a mountain.  Not to say that they don't tired me out but I no longer look up and think "are you kidding me"

I'm alive.  I've survived brain surgery, I'm walking around with a brain tumour and I'm alive, really nothing more needs to be said there, that's pretty awesome.






No comments:

Post a Comment