Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Joys of Life

Hot summer days are hard on  my head, simply due to this crazy humidity that never leaves in Nova Scotia.  However, last night it was a little cooler and I set out to mow the grass.   All these small things when you are still recovering are HUGH.  This is not my first try at this job and luckily my grass is just a wee bit bigger then a postage stamp.  When I finished I will admit I was tired but the pounding throb in my head was far less noticeable.  Hmmm this is progress as I admire the fresh cut grass.  In my "before brain surgery" life mowing the grass was usually done after working all day, with some whipper snipping, and maybe some weeding to go along with it.  But for now, mowing the grass and living to tell about it is fantastic.

The amount of rest I require between task seems to be lessening.  Doing laundry does not do me in for a day anymore.  I might even get the bathroom cleaned on the same day!!!  I KNOW...I'm blown away too.

 Months ago I couldn't stand being in the grocery store or Wal-mart because of their shinny floors.  Shinny floors and my eyes didn't get along.  I'm happy to report that looking at the floors in box stores no longer make me want to throw up.  This is progress!!!  :)  I still have photophobia, sadly this is not something they can correct with the prisms so I might be stuck with that one.  So my solution...don't look directly at any lights.

When you are in the crazy part of your recovery ( the beginning when everything is happening all at once) you really have no clue where you stand.  It's all too complicated, too busy, too scary.  I finally feel like I have things under control.  I understand what I can and can't do, my limitations both mentally and physically.  I realize that I'm never going to be the same as I was pre-brain surgery.  But maybe that's not who I was meant to be.  Perhaps my calling is to share my brain tumour and brain surgery stories to others in similar situations.  Just as I so desperately searched for this exact thing when I was scared out of my mind.  Maybe the point is for those of you who are healthy to thank God, Karma, Fate..whatever you believe.  Be grateful, be thankful that you are not dealing with health issues.

Life is short, call a friend, kiss someone, adopt a dog, eat chocolate, sing with the windows open.  Start living your life because the joys of life are good for your soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment