Thursday, October 10, 2013

One Canadian's Brain

I haven't written in a bit as honestly, I haven't been feeling the best.  The definition of recovery is a return to "normal" state.  Hmm I don't really remember what that "normal" was but I can tell you I feel like I'm slipping backward and not returning to anything.  What has returned is daily headaches and  sharp pains in the head. Nausea (which is new and NO I am NOT pregnant) and some odd "occurrences" has me thinking a trip to the good old Doc tomorrow is in order.  So in the month that I should be speaking the loudest about brain tumour awareness, I find myself not in my best state.  I do feel that since I started pouring out my feelings, anger and love for all that is involved in recovering and living with this brain intruder, I have raised some awareness.

One thing that I did get accomplished in the past 10 days is I posted a letter to government through the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada's website.  It's called Let's tell Government and is aimed at letting our elected officials in Canada know that Brain Tumour research is critical.  The Brain Tumour Foundation would like to have 837 letters sent to Government which represents the 837 people who will be diagnosed this month with a brain tumour.  So far we have 71.  This form is simple, it's easy and YOU don't have to be a brain tumour survivor, YOU just have to want to inspire change.  Maybe someone close to you has a brain tumour HINT HINT!!!!!  So for example:  Primary brain tumours (That's me)  in Canada are not accounted for.  Yes that's right my brain tumour was not counted.  In fact Canada uses data from the US to calculate or approximate the amount of people we have here with Brain Tumous.  Umm, I'm not a scientist, I'm not a Doctor, nor am I a researcher but I am a brain tumour survivor and here is what I had to say to government:

October 3 2012, the day I was told I had a brain tumour, the day my journey with the Health Care System truly began. I am grateful for all the care I have received so far and as I prepare for radiation treatment I continue to be grateful. I have had a long recovery and lots of time to read about Brain Tumours and their impact on so many lives. I am a born and raised Canadian, living with a primary brain tumour that was only partially operable and not at all accounted for. I'm asking you, our elected officials, why my brain tumour doesn't count? More research is needed to aid in the development of The Canadian Brain Tumour Registry. We have no accurate Canadian data, this needs to be changed. I'm asking you today to hear my voice, because my brain tumour counts.

I have received a couple of responses back but only one that was personalized, it was from Gerry Rogers, The House of Assembly in good old Newfoundland.  Thank you Gerry for taking the time to read and respond to my plea for change.  You too can write to Gerry and all the other elected officials about Brain Tumour research, the need for a Canadian Brain Tumour Registry, access to treatment options or to simply say you know someone with a brain tumour.   Chances are I'm not the only person you know who has been affected by one.  One voice to the government is like a whisper, many voices produce change, please click here  and fill out this simple form  It only takes 5 minutes and you will be helping approximately  55,001 Canadians living with a brain tumour raise much needed awareness.  By the way I'm the 1, The Fifty Five Thousand and ONE Canadian, because my brain tumour counts



1 comment:

  1. I entered my story , hopefully everyone else will too. great work Kelly Xo lots of love and prayers

    ReplyDelete