Friday, January 30, 2015

Curry On The Brain


Today is a big day, I get to start Meriva-SR curcumin  I'm quite excited about this as I've been working with my Naturopathic Doctor (ND) to get my body in a healthy state internally to start this journey.

Curcumin is a major component in the spice turmeric, which gives curry the beautiful yellow/orange colour.   While beautiful to look at, it also has amazing health benefits.  The articles on the Internet are staggering, study after study of the cancer fighting and inflammatory fighting properties of this wonder spice.

My personal research began about a year ago when it started to sink in that my tumour was not going to just "go away" even if I opted for radiation.  We live in a world where we think modern medicine can fix what is wrong with us, or at least I did.  Have surgery, remove tumour, "get on with it".  Honestly, as crazy as that sounds, that's what I thought.  Well, that all came to a screeching halt, and after I got over my own pity party I did what I do best.  I read, I researched, and I dug deep to find something that would work for me.

So this is what I found:
  • Although curry tastes yummy and I do eat my fair share, you would need to eat A LOT of it to obtain the health benefits I was looking for.
  • Curcumin has a major anti-inflammatory response.  
  • Curcumin has antioxidant properties.
  • Curcumin crosses the blood brain barrier- do you know how hard that is to do?   The body is well designed to protect the command centre of the body.  Since my tumour is in my brain this is good news.
  • Curcumin has been found effective in helping to treat some forms of cancer.
There are hundreds of articles, but a common theme in all of them is that this spice is gaining recognition.  I am realistic of course that this isn't going to be one of those hallelujah moments of "I'm cured."  However, I am optimistic that with the help of my ND a better state of health can be obtained.  So with each little pill I swallow I will envision an army of yellow soldiers marching their way to my brain, seeking out that tumour and yelling CHARGE!!

photo credits:   Rainforest Herbs




No comments:

Post a Comment